Harry S. Truman, Adlai Stevenson Campaign Pinbacks & Memorabilia, 85+ Pcs
An unique collection of over 85 pieces of campaign memorabilia relating to Democratic Party presidential candidates Harry S. Truman and Adlai Stevenson, ca. 1948-1960. Pieces include pinback buttons, flashers, coattail buttons, lapel pins, and campaign button tabs, as well as several jugates. Displayed in an aesthetically pleasing montage on a black felt-covered mat measuring 24.375" x 16.5". The lot comes with an optional wooden and glass showcase behind which the mat was originally displayed. There are many gems in this completely unpicked collection waiting to be discovered! Provenance: From the lifelong collection of a Greenwich, Connecticut gentleman.
The more unusual and three-dimensional items include: a "hole-in-shoe" lapel pin front from Adlai Stevenson's 1952 presidential campaign; and an Adlai Stevenson button, ribbon, and Democratic Party donkey pendant combo. Expected wear throughout including isolated toning or surface scratches commensurate with age, else near fine.
Candidates whose images or names are featured include:
- Harry S. Truman & Alben W. Barkley (1948)
- Adlai Stevenson & John Sparkman (1952)
- Adlai Stevenson & Estes Kefauver (1956)
- Dwight D. Eisenhower & Richard Nixon (1952 & 1956)
- Joe Smith, an imaginary Republican Party vice presidential candidate proposed in 1956 to replace Richard Nixon
- Adlai Stevenson, Democratic Party presidential candidate (1960)
- Blair Moody for U.S. Senator from Michigan (1952)
- G. Mennen "Soapy" Williams for Governor of Michigan (1952)
A preliminary examination revealed the following highlights:
- Stevenson & Kefauver "TV Victory Committee" button sold for $175 in 2011
- Stevenson & Sparkman jugate sold for $46 in 2014
- "I'm for Stevenson / 'How We'd Like Harry'" button sold for $47 in 2013
- "Forward with President Truman / 'No Retreat'" button sold for $60 in 2018
**PLEASE NOTE: This lot will require third party shipping due to the delicate nature of how the buttons are mounted.
This item comes with a Certificate from John Reznikoff, a premier authenticator for both major 3rd party authentication services, PSA and JSA (James Spence Authentications), as well as numerous auction houses.
WE PROVIDE IN-HOUSE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!