Thomas E. Dewey Campaign Pinbacks & Memorabilia, 60 Pcs
A superb collection of 60 pieces of campaign memorabilia related to the presidential campaigns of Republican Party candidate Thomas E. Dewey, ca. 1944-1948. Pieces include pinback buttons, coattail buttons, campaign button tabs, and an unused campaign contribution certificate. Displayed in an aesthetically pleasing montage on a black felt-covered mat measuring 24.375" x 16.5". The lot comes with an optional wooden and glass showcase behind which the mat was originally displayed. There are many gems in this completely unpicked collection waiting to be discovered! Provenance: From the lifelong collection of a Greenwich, Connecticut gentleman.
A blank Dewey-Warren Dollar Certificate, no. 118242, positioned prominently at bottom, is surrounded by pro-Dewey and anti-Democratic Party buttons. Some of the more interesting anti-Truman examples include a "Back to Independence, Missouri" and "Truman was Screwy to Build a Porch for Dewey" buttons. Expected wear throughout commensurate with age including isolated edge stains, else near fine.
Candidates whose images or names are featured include:
- Thomas E. Dewey & John W. Bricker (1944)
- Thomas E. Dewey & Earl Warren (1948)
- Harry S. Truman (1948)
- Hobart Creighton for Governor of Indiana (1948)
- Sidney Hillman, co-founder of the American Labor Party (ca. 1944)
- Thomas J. Herbert for Governor of Ohio (1948)
A preliminary examination revealed the following highlights:
- "Our Next President Thomas E. Dewey" button sold for $39 in 2013
- 3.5" diameter "Thomas E. Dewey for President" button in blue sold for $30 in 2019
- 3.5" diameter "Thomas E. Dewey for President" button in red, similar one sold for $30 in 2019
- Dewey / Warren jugate sold for $38 in 2017
- "Don't be an [Ass], Vote for Dewey" button sold for $32 in 2013
- "Dewey in 1948" button depicting a charging elephant sold for $32 in 2019
- "Truman was Screwy to Build a Porch for Dewey" button sold for $40 in 2013
- "Clear Everything with Sidney" button sold for $60 in 2011
**PLEASE NOTE: This lot will require third party shipping due to the delicate nature of how the buttons are mounted.
This item comes with a Certificate from John Reznikoff, a premier authenticator for both major 3rd party authentication services, PSA and JSA (James Spence Authentications), as well as numerous auction houses.
WE PROVIDE IN-HOUSE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!