Fidel Castro Signed Hand-Painted Fan & Photo
A small lot related to the early history of the Cuban Revolution, including a delicately hand-painted fan signed by Cuban presidents Fidel Castro and Manuel Urrutia Lleó. Provenance: From the collection of Ron Hoskins, assassinologist.
The lot is comprised of:
1. A paper fan, gilt-edged and hand-painted with two flowers, signed by three officials of the first post-Fulgencio Batista revolutionary government of Cuba:
- Fidel Castro (1926-2016), then Prime Minister of Cuba, as "Fidel Castro Ruz" at lower right
- Dr. Manuel Urrutia Lleó (1901-1981), the first president of the Cuban revolutionary government, as "Urrutia" just above Castro's signature
- First Lady Esperanza Llaguno Aguirre de Urrutia (1907-1986), as "Esperanza Ll. de Urrutia / 27 de Feb. 1959." just above her husband's signature
The fan is also signed by the artist and dated 1957. Expected wear including fragile folds, with isolated tears, loss, and stains verso, else very good. Measures 14" wide by 8" tall when fully extended.
Dr. Manuel Urrutia Lleó served as president of Cuba between January and mid-July 1959. Castro was promoted from head of the Cuban armed forces to Prime Minister of Cuba in mid-February. Major ideological and practical differences of opinion soon threatened their joint leadership; Lleó was dismissed and fled to exile, first in Venezuela and then in the United States after 1963. While in the U.S. he became one of Castro's most vociferous critics. Castro served as president of Cuba between 1976-2008.
2. A black and white glossy photograph of Fidel Castro in military uniform at a press podium, possibly a contemporary print. Partly pencil-inscribed verso. Expected light wear including a few scuffs, else near fine. 9.5" x 7.5."
This item comes with a Certificate from John Reznikoff, a premier authenticator for both major 3rd party authentication services, PSA and JSA (James Spence Authentications), as well as numerous auction houses.
WE PROVIDE IN-HOUSE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!