Democratic, Independent & American Independent Party Campaign Pinbacks & Memorabilia, 85+ Pcs
A diverse collection of over 85 pieces of campaign memorabilia relating to Democratic, Independent, and American Independent Party presidential nominees, ca. 1968-1976, including Hubert Humphrey, Eugene McCarthy, Shirley Chisholm, Ted Kennedy, George Wallace, and many others. Pieces include pinback buttons and jugates, coattail buttons, and campaign button tabs. Displayed in an aesthetically pleasing montage on a black felt-covered mat measuring 24.375" x 16.5". The lot comes with an optional wooden and glass showcase behind which the mat was originally displayed. There are many gems in this completely unpicked collection waiting to be discovered! Provenance: From the lifelong collection of a Greenwich, Connecticut gentleman.
The memorabilia represents the political response of the Center, Left, and the Far Right to the eventually successful Republican presidential ticket of Richard Nixon and Spiro Agnew. American politics in the late 1960s to mid-1970s were set against the turbulent backdrop of the Civil Rights Movement, the Vietnam War, and the high-profile assassinations of Martin Luther King, Jr. and Robert Kennedy. The polarity of political views during this era is perhaps best represented within this grouping by contrasting the following: the 1972 Democratic presidential campaign of Shirley Chisholm, the first black woman nominated by a major political party, on the one hand; and the 1968, 1972, 1976 American Independent / Democratic Party presidential campaigns of George Wallace, the "Southern Power" pro-segregationist, on the other. Expected wear throughout commensurate with age including isolated fading, else near fine.
Candidates whose images or names are featured include:
- George Wallace & Curtis LeMay, American Independent Party (1968)
- George Wallace, American Independent & Democratic Party presidential candidate (1968, 1972, 1976)
- John G. Schmitz & Tom Anderson, American Independent Party (1972)
- Eugene McCarthy, Democratic & Independent presidential candidate (1968, 1972, 1976)
- Hubert Humphrey, Democratic presidential candidate (1968, 1972)
- Shirley Chisholm, Democratic presidential candidate (1972)
- Ted Kennedy, Democratic presidential candidate (1972)
- Edmund Muskie, Democratic presidential candidate (1972)
- John V. Lindsay, Democratic presidential candidate (1972)
- Sam Yorty, Democratic presidential candidate (1972)
- Harold Hughes, Democratic presidential candidate (1972)
- Vance Hartke, Democratic presidential candidate (1972)
- Henry M. Jackson, Democratic presidential candidate (1972, 1976)
- Terry Sanford, Democratic presidential candidate (1972, 1976)
- Stanley Arnold, Democratic vice presidential candidate (1972)
- Endicott Peabody, Democratic vice presidential candidate (1972)
- Birch Bayh, Democratic presidential candidate (1976)
- Jesse Unruh, State Assemblyman from California
- Stewart Udall, Congressman from Arizona
A preliminary examination revealed the following highlights:
- "Take the Chisholm Trail to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave." and "Catalyst for Change, Chisholm for President, '72" buttons sold together for $71 in 2018
**PLEASE NOTE: This lot will require third party shipping due to the delicate nature of how the buttons are mounted.
This item comes with a Certificate from John Reznikoff, a premier authenticator for both major 3rd party authentication services, PSA and JSA (James Spence Authentications), as well as numerous auction houses.
WE PROVIDE IN-HOUSE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!