PxPixel
University Archives

Description:

Bunker Hill Monument Guestbook Signed by Visitors During Civil War These remarkable books contains approximately 42,000 names and original signatures of visitors to the famous Revolutionary War battle site and commemorative monument, while the nation was embroiled in the Civil War. Visitors from throughout the United States and around the world visited the monument and inscribed their names in this guestbook, from First Lady Mary Lincoln to humble privates in the Union Army and local citizens. This unique artifact juxtaposes famous people and common people, men and women, children and adults, native-born and foreign-born, as they visited this early monument to America’s Revolutionary heritage when the Union it created was in peril. [CIVIL WAR.] Bunker Hill Monument Visitor’s Guestbooks, 3 vols. (1) ca. May 1860-June 1862. Approx. 510 pp., 8.625" x 13.5". Lacking spine; boards rubbed and detached; first 88 pp. have faded ink; one page partially cut out, reputedly having the signature of the Prince of Wales Albert Edward (with handwritten comment, “(oh what Hawkers!) Here is where Prince Albert Edward of Wales registered his name.”); succeeding page cut; two or three other pages removed, but perhaps before signatures were added.(2) June 10, 1862 – July 22, 1863, approx. 540 pp., 9" x 13.5". Lacking spine; boards rubbed; two lines removed from one page; some damage to endpapers. (3) June 4, 1864 – February 28, 1865, approx. 550 pp., 9.25" x 13.5". Spine and boards rubbed; some damage to endpapers. Among the prominent signers of / names in the guestbooks are: Edwin Emery (1836-1895), “Bowd. Coll. Brunswick Me.” was an 1861 graduate of Bowdoin College who served in the 17th Maine Volunteer Infantry, rising from a private to a 2nd lieutenant. From 1877 to 1890, he was an instructor in the U.S. Revenue Marine, the forerunner of the U.S. Coast Guard Academy. Timothy Matlack Bryan Jr. (1832-1881), “Philadelphia,” an 1855 graduate of the U.S. Military Academy and an officer in Massachusetts and Pennsylvania regiments during the Civil War. Elisha Hunt Rhodes (1842-1917), was an officer in the Civil War, who rose from the rank of corporal to colonel in the 2nd Rhode Island Volunteer Infantry. His wartime diary played a key role in Ken Burns’s documentary The Civil War. Nathan Appleton Jr. (1843-1906), “Boston Mass,” son of prominent Boston merchant and member of “The Boston Associates” Nathan Appleton (1779-1861). William Steffe (1830-1890), “Philadelphia Pa Bearer of despatches from Gen Butler,” was a South Carolina native who, as a Philadelphia bookkeeper and insurance agent, created the tune for the Civil War marching song, “John Brown’s Body,” later used by Julia Ward Howe for her “The Battle Hymn of the Republic.” George Jones (1800-1870), “Chaplain U.S. Navy,” served as chaplain of Commodore Matthew Perry’s expedition to Japan of 1852-1854, and as the first chaplain of the U.S. Naval Academy. Samuel T. Alexander (1836-1904), “Honolulu, Sandwich Islands [Hawaii],” was a co-founder of major agricultural and transportation businesses in the Kingdom of Hawaii. Rafael Pombo (1833-1912), “Bogota, New Granada,” was a Colombian poet. Baron George D’Utassy (1827-1892), “Hungary,” was a former Austrian army officer who defected to the Hungarian revolutionaries in 1848, then fled with the failure of the revolution, arriving in Canada by 1855 and in New York City in 1860. He led the Garibaldi Guard, or the 39th New York Volunteer Infantry, composed of 11 different nationalities, in the Union Army from 1861 to 1863. William W. Wheaton (1833-1891), “Detroit Mich,” was a wholesale grocer and mayor of Detroit from 1868 to 1871. Charles H. Dall (1816-1886), “Calcutta E. I.,” was a Unitarian minister, graduate of Harvard Divinity School, and husband from 1844 of women’s rights advocate Caroline Wells Healey Dall (1822-1912). In 1855, he went alone to Calcutta, India, as the first American Unitarian foreign missionary and remained there, except for occasional visits to the United States, until his death. William Lowndes Yancey (1814-1863), “Alabama,” was a journalist and politician and one of the leading “Fire-Eaters,” who favored secession of the slaveholding states. He served in the Confederate Senate from 1862 to 1863. Albert Edward, Prince of Wales (later King Edward VII) (1841-1910), “England,” toured North America from July to November 1860. He visited Boston from October 17-20. Miles J. Fletcher (-1862), “Indianapolis, Ind.” was professor of English literature at Indiana Asbury University from 1852 until 1862, and the Indiana Superintendent of Public Instruction from 1861 to 1862. Edward Payson Ripley (1845-1920), “Dorchester Mass,” served as president of the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway from 1895 to 1920. Mary Lincoln (1818-1882), was the First Lady of the United States from 1861 to 1865, as wife of President Abraham Lincoln. In May 1861, she traveled to Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York, and Boston, and visited the Bunker Hill Monument on May 18, 1861. Elizabeth Todd Grimsley (1825-1895), “Springfield Ills.,” was Mary Lincoln’s cousin and a bridesmaid at her wedding to Abraham Lincoln in 1842. She accompanied the Lincolns to Washington in February 1861 and accompanied Mary Lincoln on her trip north in May 1861. Of the visit to Boston on that trip, she later wrote, “Through Senator Sumner, who was a warm friend and admirer of both President and Mrs. Lincoln, our coming was anticipated, and everything arranged for a charming reception at the Revere House, dinings and drives, and we met many of the most distinguished men of Boston and Harvard; saw all that could be seen in so short a time, and returned to Washington, delighted with our jaunt....” Grimsley returned to Springfield in August 1861. William Henry Letterman (1832-1881), “ΦΚΨ Philadelphia Penna,” was the co-founder of Phi Kappa Psi fraternity at Jefferson College in Pennsylvania, when he was an undergraduate. He went on to receive his medical degree from Jefferson Medical College in 1856. His older brother Jonathan K. Letterman (1824-1872) served in the Army of the Potomac as a surgeon and is considered the “Father of Battlefield Medicine” for his improvements in medical organization and the treatment of casualties. Fletcher Webster (1813-1862), “Marshfield,” was the oldest son of Daniel Webster and a graduate of Harvard College. He served as Chief Clerk of the State Department in his father’s first term as Secretary of State (1841-1843). He commanded the 12th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry and was killed at the Second Battle of Bull Run on August 30, 1862. Chauncey M. Depew (1834-1928), “Peekskill N.Y.,” was an attorney for Cornelius Vanderbilt’s railroads, president of the New York Central Railroad system, and later a United States Senator from New York (1899-1911). Paul Dahlgren (1846-1876), “Washington D. C.,” was the son of Rear Admiral John A. Dahlgren of the U.S. Navy, known as the “father of American naval ordnance.” The younger Dahlgren died in Italy while serving as U.S. consul general in Rome. Charles K. Robinson (1835-1887), “East Saginaw, Mich.,” graduated from the Ann Arbor Law School in April 1860. In 1861, President Lincoln appointed him as Receiver of the United States Land Office, a position he held until 1865. Beneath his entry on July 5, 1861, is that of “Mrs. C.K. Robinson” (Carrie M. Williams) and the notation “Married at 5 o’clock A.M. July 3d A.D. 1861 at Detroit, Mich.” He operated a banking house in Michigan from 1866 to 1873, then moved to California, where he served as mayor of Oakland (1882-1883). William J. Conkling (1826-1904), “Springfield Illinois,” attorney and younger brother of James C. Conkling, friend and political ally of Abraham Lincoln. Major John T. Sprague (1810-1878), “Albany N.Y.,” was a veteran of the Second Seminole War, about which he published a history in 1848. He went to Texas in the spring of 1861, was arrested by the Confederates, paroled, and returned to New York to describe “The Treachery in Texas” in a paper he delivered to the New York Historical Society. He served as Adjutant General for the state of New York from August 1861 to January 1865. George M. Arth (1835-1886), “Washington City D. C.,” was a bassist. He joined the U.S. Marine Band, known as “The President’s Own” in August 1861. He was in the orchestra at Ford’s Theater on April 14, 1865, when John Wilkes Booth assassinated Abraham Lincoln. Robert H. Sayre (1824-1907), “Pennsylvania,” was the chief engineer of the Lehigh Valley Railroad from 1854, was one of the founders of the Bethlehem Iron Company, predecessor of Bethlehem Steel Corporation, and designed and constructed the company’s first iron works between 1861 and 1863. Mary E. Walker, M.D. (1832-1919), “Rome N.Y.,” graduated from the Syracuse Medical College in 1855 and became one of the few female physicians in the country. During the Civil War, she applied for appointment as an Army surgeon and was rejected. She worked as a volunteer surgeon until General George H. Thomas appointed her as an assistant surgeon in September 1863. She was captured by Confederates in April 1864 and spent four months in prison until exchanged for a Confederate surgeon. She received a Medal of Honor in January 1866, the only female recipient of the Medal, but it was revoked in 1917, then restored in 1977. Thomas L. Livermore (1844-1918), “Galena, Illinois,” was born in Galena, Illinois, and was studying at Lombard College in Galesburg, Illinois, when the Civil War began. He enlisted in the 5th New Hampshire Volunteer Infantry in August 1861 and rose through the ranks to become colonel of the 18th New Hampshire by the end of the war. He practiced law in Boston after the war and became known for his historical works, especially that on the statistics of Civil War unit strengths and casualties. Richard Rogers Bowker (1848-1933), “New York,” was not quite 13 when he visited the Bunker Hill Monument, but he later became a successful journalist, editor of Publishers Weekly and Harpers Magazine, and founder of the R. R. Bowker Company that provides bibliographic information to the publishing industry. Thomas Francis Meagher (1823-1867), “New York,” was an Irish nationalist in the Rebellion of 1848 against British rule. Convicted of sedition, Meagher was first sentenced to death, then commuted to transportation to Australia. He escaped in 1852 and traveled to New York City, where he studied law and worked as a journalist. He served in the Union Army during the Civil War, rising to the rank of brigadier general. Charles C. Bonney (1831-1903), “Chicago, Illinois,” was a teacher, lawyer, and judge in Illinois, and organizer of the Parliament of the World’s Religions, held in conjunction with the World’s Columbian Exposition in Chicago in 1893, at which Bonney served as President of the World’s Congresses (held in many different fields). John J. Macdonald (1834-1862),“Prince Edward Island,” from a Catholic family, eloped with a Protestant girl, and moved to Boston, where he started a dry goods store. He enlisted in the 28th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry and went with it to the islands of coastal South Carolina, where he was killed in battle in mid-June 1862. Levi Parsons (1822-1887), “San Francisco, California,” was born in New York but moved to California in 1849, and in 1850 became one of the pioneer judges of the California Supreme Court. He left California in 1866, and lived in New York City for the rest of his life. Mercy P. Whitney (1795-1872), “Sandwich Islands,” was an early Congregational missionary with her husband Samuel Whitney to Hawaii, living there from 1819 until her death, with occasional visits to the United States. Anthony Trollope (1815-1882), “London,” was a prominent English novelist of the Victorian era. Trollope and his wife traveled to America in September 1861 to write a travel book, but his publishers wanted a book about the war. In November, his wife went back to England, and he traveled to Washington and spent some time with the Union Army in northern Virginia, before traveling west to Kentucky, Missouri, and Illinois early in 1862. His book North America was published in 1862. Owen G. Lovejoy (1846-1900), “Princeton Ills,” was the oldest son of Owen Lovejoy (1811-1864), who was an abolitionist, attorney, and Republican Congressman from Illinois who aided the political rise of Abraham Lincoln. The younger Lovejoy also became an attorney. Charles Bunker Dahlgren (1839-1912), “U.S.S. San Jacinto,” was the oldest son of Rear Admiral John A. Dahlgren of the U.S. Navy, known as the “father of American naval ordnance.” Charles B. Dahlgren was serving on the USS San Jacinto under Captain Charles Wilkes, when the ship seized Confederate emissaries James M. Mason and John Slidell from the British mail packet RMS Trent of Cuba on November 8. The San Jacinto arrived at Hampton Roads, Virginia, on November 15, and reported the capture to Washington. Authorities ordered him to proceed to Boston to place Mason and Slidell in Fort Warren with other captured Confederates. The ship arrived in Boston on November 24, and six days later, Dahlgren visited the Bunker Hill Monument. The resulting British outrage over the Trent affair led the Union to the brink of war with Great Britain, but the release of Mason and Slidell at the end of the year eased tensions and ended the crisis. Esther E. Baldwin (1840-1910), “Smyrna Delaware” was an American Methodist missionary to China from 1862 to 1880, and served as the president of the New York Woman’s Missionary Society for two decades. She wrote Must the Chinese Go?, first published in 1881 and reissued in several editions, which challenged misrepresentations against Chinese immigrants and earned her the title of the “Chinese Champion.” On April 15, 1862, she married the missionary Rev. Stephen L. Baldwin (1835-1902), “Fuh Chau, China,” in Delaware, and they visited the Bunker Hill Monument on April 24, 1862. John B. Brownlow (1839-1922), “Knoxville Ten,” was the older son of William G. “Parson” Brownlow (1805-1877), the fiery Unionist newspaper publisher and Methodist minister in eastern Tennessee. John B. Brownlow was a colonel in the Union Army during the war, and in 1865, when his father became Governor of Tennessee, he succeeded his father as editor of the newspaper Brownlow’s Knoxville Whig. Charles Francis Adams Jr. (1835-1915), an American author and historian, great grandson of President John Adams and grandson of President John Quincy Adams. He served in the 1st Massachusetts Volunteer Cavalry in the Civil War from 1861 until the end of his three-year enlistment in September 1864. (June 11, 1862) Lt. Orlando B. Douglas (1836-1920)served as a lieutenant and adjutant with the 18th Missouri Volunteers and was twice wounded during the Civil War. He was a first cousin of Stephen A. Douglas. He later received a medical degree from New York University and served on the medical faculty there. For many years, he was the director of the Manhattan Eye, Ear and Throat Hospital. (July 1, 1862) Samuel Archer King (1828-1914), “Aeronaut,” was a ballooning pioneer who made his first ascent from Philadelphia in 1851. He later made several ascents from Boston and Charlestown, Massachusetts. (July 7, 1862) Samuel Northrup Castle (1808-1894), “Honolulu Sand Islds,” was born in New York and went to the Sandwich Islands as a missionary in 1837. He later became a sugar merchant and member of the legislature and Privy Council in the Kingdom of Hawaii. (July 8, 1862) James W. Nesmith (1820-1885), “Oregon, U.S.S.” was born in New Brunswick, Canada, but grew up in Maine and New Hampshire. He moved to Ohio in 1838 and Oregon in 1843. He represented Oregon in the U.S. Senate as a Democrat from 1861 to 1867 and from 1873 to 1875. (August 12, 1862) Edgar R. Hills (1855-1922), “aged 6½ Brookline Mass”. (August 14, 1862) Zebulon L. White (1842-1889), “Tufts College,” became a prominent journalist after graduating in 1866, first as writer for the New York Tribune, then as editor of The Providence Press. Tufts’ President A. A. Miner wrote, “The College reckons many noble men in the catalogue of its alumni, but none truer or nobler than Zebulon Lewis White.” (August 23, 1862) Robert S. Montgomery (1829-1905)andMrs. Susan D. Montgomery (1831-1881), “Palmetto, Bedford Co Tenn Amid Secesh & Guerillas.” Montgomery was born in South Carolina, moved to Tennessee in 1844, married Susan Dysart in 1855, and opened a mercantile business in Palmetto. They and their family left Tennessee during at least part of the war but returned to Palmetto after the war. (August 25, 1862) Richard W. Montgomery (1837-aft. 1910), “New Orleans,” worked on river boats on the Mississippi River, and was a well-known riverboat gambler. (August 29, 1862) Lt. George W. Caleff (1829-1898), “Charleston Jail, S.C. prisoner of war 13 months, fed on sour Bread and moving Ham.” Caleff was a member of the 11th Massachusetts Volunteers and was taken prisoner at the First Battle of Bull Run in July 1861. Initially, he was imprisoned in a tobacco warehouse in Richmond, Virginia. In September, Caleff was among thirty-two officers transferred to Charleston, South Carolina. He was later exchanged. (August 30, 1862) Henry Eagle (1801-1882)was commissioned a commodore in the U.S. Navy on July 16, 1862. He commanded the USS Monticello in Virginia in 1861, and the USS Santee in the Gulf Squadron in 1861 and 1862. (September 3, 1862) James G. Sands (1833-1904), “Lawrence Kansas” owned a saddle and harness shop. Eight months after Sands visited Boston, William Quantrill’s raiders burned his business to the ground and killed his brother-in-law and more than 150 others. By January 1864, Sands was back in business and defiantly advertised, “Established in 1855. Sacked in 1856. Stood the Famine in 1860. Totally Destroyed in 1863. Defies all Competition in 1864.” (September 16, 1862) William Morrin (1826-1873), “New Zealand,” was born in London and settled in Auckland, New Zealand in 1855, where he established a grocery business. He sold his interest in the business in 1872 and returned to Canada. (September 29, 1862) Frederick F. Low (1828-1894), “California,” was born in Maine and moved to California in 1849. He became a banker and represented California in the U.S. House of Representatives from June 1862 to March 1863. He served as governor of California from December 1863 to December 1867, and as U.S. Minister to China from 1869 to 1873. (September 29, 1862) California Hundred membersCharles W. Hill (1834-1897), George I. Holt (1832-1914),andJames M. Pelham (1829-1866). On December 10, 1862, the “California Hundred” organized as a group of volunteers in San Francisco, California, and took a ship to Massachusetts, where they arrived on January 4, 1863. They became Company A and were joined by seven companies from Massachusetts to form the 2nd Massachusetts Cavalry. After picket and scout duty until July 1863, they engaged in numerous skirmishes with John S. Mosby’s Confederate rangers. Four hundred more Californians followed them to Massachusetts to fill out the regiment. The 2nd Massachusetts Cavalry served in Philip H. Sheridan’s Shenandoah Valley Campaigns of 1864, and later in the Siege of Petersburg and the Appomattox Campaign. A Massachusetts native, “Hill” was a teacher in California when he enlisted. In June 1863, he told his captain that he had deserted eleven months earlier from the 1st Missouri Cavalry, in which he had served as 2nd Lieutenant under the name George W. Nash. On June 5, 1862, at Sedalia, Missouri, Nash led a scouting party of 78 men in pursuit of a group of marauders who had stolen wagons from a forage train. Nash questioned local resident William S. Field, who refused to give any information and clearly sided with the Confederacy. Nash took Field into custody and later while Field tried to escape, two of Nash’s men shot and killed him. Critics insisted that Nash ordered them to execute Field. While awaiting a trial before a military commission for the murder of Field, Nash deserted in mid-July and made his way to California, where he volunteered as Charles W. Hill. He was imprisoned in St. Louis, and in March 1865, President Lincoln confirmed Nash’s dishonorable discharge of July 1862. After spending a few years in Indiana, Nash moved to Arizona. Born in New Hampshire, Holt was a painter and was discharged from a Maryland hospital in June 1865. An Illinois native, Pelham was a carpenter and was discharged for disability from a Maryland hospital in June 1865, and returned to Illinois. (January 17, 1863) California Hundred membersWesley R. Crumpton (1841-1928), William H. H. Bumgardner (1841-1864),andHenry Schrow (1832-1919). Crumpton was promoted to corporal, reduced to the ranks, again promoted to corporal, then sergeant, and finally promoted to 2nd Lieutenant in July 1865. Bumgardner died at a Virginia farmhouse of wounds received in action against Mosby’s guerrillas at Mount Zion Church, July 6, 1864. He is buried in Arlington National Cemetery. Born in Germany, Schrow went to California in 1849 and remained there until 1852. He was a member of Commodore Matthew Perry’s Expedition to Japan in 1852-1853 and was the last known survivor of that expedition in 1918. In the 2nd Massachusetts Cavalry, he gained promotion to corporal and was discharged from a Washington hospital in June 1865. (January 19, 1863) George B. McClellan(name cut out)(1826-1885), “Maj. Genl USA,” served as Commanding General of the United States Army from November 1861 to March 1862; he was the Democratic nominee for President in 1864. (January 30, 1863) Edward H. Wright (1824-1913), “Col. & A.D.C. U.S. Army,” was a graduate of the College of New Jersey (Princeton) and Harvard Law School. He served as Aide-de-Camp to Generals Winfield Scott and George B. McClellan, reaching the rank of colonel. (January 30, 1863) William P. Mason Jr. (1835-1901), “Capt. & A.D.C., U.S.A.,” was born in Boston and was a graduate of Harvard and the Cambridge Law School. He served as aide-de-camp on General George B. McClellan’s staff from November 1861 until he resigned in April 1863. (January 30, 1863) David A. Butterfield (1834-1875), “Denver Colorado Territory,” was born in Maine, moved to Kansas in 1856, to Denver in 1862, and back to Atchison, Kansas in 1864. One month after visiting Bunker Hill, Butterfield established Butterfield’s Overland Despatch with service from Atchison to Denver. Between July and November 1864, the service carried 14 million pounds of freight, and Butterfield developed a stagecoach line on the same route in 1865. He soon sold out to a competitor and moved to Mississippi and then Arkansas. (June 9, 1864) Samuel Nickelson (1814-1877), “Pulaski Tenn,” was born in Massachusetts and learned cotton carding and spinning. He moved to Tennessee in 1841, then went to California in the Gold Rush of 1849 and remained there three years. He returned to Tennessee and began manufacturing cotton goods in Pulaski, Tennessee. In 1864, he moved to Massachusetts, but returned to Gallatin, Tennessee, in 1868, and opened a woolen mill. (June 10, 1864) Charles Speed (1848-1935)andLucien Speed (1850-1912), “Louisville Ky,” were sons of Kentucky state senator James Speed (1812-1887). In December 1864, President Abraham Lincoln appointed James Speed as U.S. Attorney General, a position he held until July 1866. (June 11, 1864) Lt. Frank M. Gould (1844-1903)was born in Rhode Island and married Mary J. Tillingast in June 1861. He joined the 3rd Rhode Island Artillery in February 1862. He received an appointment as a 2nd lieutenant in Company G of the 33rd U.S. Colored Troops in June 1863, and his resignation was accepted on June 8, 1864. (July 5, 1864) John Todd Stuart (1807-1885), “Springfield Ills.” was Abraham Lincoln’s first law partner and Mary Lincoln’s first cousin. He represented Illinois in Congress as a Whig from 1839 to 1843 and as a Democrat from 1863 to 1865. (July 6, 1864) Jonas King (1792-1869), “Athens, Greece,” was a Congregational missionary to Greece from 1831 to 1869, with an interruption from 1852 to 1854, when he was imprisoned and then exiled. His appeals and the intervention of the U.S. government furthered religious liberty in Greece. During his life, he was widely known in Christian circles in the United States and in other countries. Beneath his entry in the guestbook, he wrote, “The Union must be preserved so long as the sun and moon shall endure, and the Stars of heaven continue to shine.” (October 10, 1864) The visitors to the Bunker Hill Monument came from a wide variety of occupations and residences. Merchants, industrialists, lawyers, physicians, clergymen, newspaper editors, and other professionals are frequent among the entries. Most of the visitors were from New England and New York, but visitors from Philadelphia, Washington, Cincinnati, Chicago, St. Louis, and New Orleans appear regularly, as do a surprising number from San Francisco and Sacramento, California. A large number of Canadian visitors are also present, especially from the maritime provinces of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. Visitors from the South appear with some frequency in 1860 but virtually disappear in 1861 and 1862. Foreign visitors came from as far away as China, India, Russia, and South Africa. Some were American missionaries home for a visit, while others were diplomats or members of foreign navies, seeing the sights of Boston. Couples on a honeymoon trip were common in the pages, as were Union soldiers, sailors, and marines, and merchants in town on business. Other entries suggest motives of memorial or commemoration. In July 1861, just weeks after Senator Stephen A. Douglas died, appeared the entry, “S. A. Douglass Chicago.” At the foot of another page is the entry “Sam Patch New Orleans.” Patch (1807-1829) became the first American daredevil after leaping into the Niagara River near the base of Niagara Falls. After his death in a failed jump a few months later, he became a folk hero, and actor Dan Marble (1807-1849) gained great success in staging “Sam Patch” plays throughout the United States and England in the 1830s and 1840s. There are several entries for “Jeff Davis” with residences including Richmond and “From the South.” After several entries in the same handwriting for visitors from Lowell, Massachusetts, comes “A. Lincoln Washington D.C.” also in the same hand.There are several entries for “Jeff Davis” or “Jefferson Davis” with residences including “Richmond, NC” and “Richmond.” Another for “Stonewall Jackson” gives his residence as “Tombs.” Humor comes through in some entries, like that of “Jeff Decker not Davis,” who did not want to be identified with the President of the Confederacy. The fictious visitor “E. P. Unum” was listed as a “Cosmopolitan,” and the “Spirit of Darkness” from “Hades.” E. C. Munson listed his residence as “The World.” Sometimes, the visit was personal. In June 1864, W. E. Abbott of Syracuse, New York, added, “A Grandson of one of its defenders.” Corporal J. H. Smith of the militia added after his name, “My Grandfather had a ship burnt in the revolution.” Susie W. Ferneaux added the commentary, “The Union forever. Freedom for all.” Historical Background In 1823, a group of Bostonians formed the Bunker Hill Monument Association to raise funds for the creation of a monument to commemorate the June 17, 1775 Battle of Bunker Hill. By 1825, the Association had purchased property and selected a design—a 221-foot granite obelisk designed by Solomon Willard. On June 17, 1825, the fiftieth anniversary of the battle, the Marquis de Lafayette performed the cornerstone-laying ceremony, and Congressman Daniel Webster delivered an oration. On June 17, 1843, the Bunker Hill Monument Association held a celebration for the dedication of the monument, and again, former and future U.S. Senator and former and future Secretary of State Daniel Webster was the principal speaker, with President John Tyler in attendance. The Bunker Hill Monument Association continued to maintain the monument and grounds until 1919, when it turned the property over to the Commonwealth of Massach

Accepts online payments

Accepted Forms of Payment

American Express, Discover, MasterCard, Money Order / Cashiers Check, Paypal, Personal Check, Visa, Wire Transfer

Shipping

We do our own in-house worldwide shipping!

Applicable shipping and handling charges will be added to the invoice. We offer several shipping options, and remain one of the few auction houses who proudly provides professional in-house shipping as an option to our clients. All items will ship with signature required, and full insurance. Most items are sent via Federal Express, with P. O. Box addresses being sent through USPS. We insure through Berkley Asset Protection with rates of $.70 per $100 of value, among the lowest insurance rates in the industry. Our shipping department cameras document every package, both outgoing and incoming, for maximum security. In addition, we compare our shipping and handling rates against those of other auction houses, to ensure that our charges are among the lowest in the trade.

Upon winning your item(s), you will receive an invoice with our in-house shipping and handling fees included. ***We will ship to the address as it appears on your invoice, unless you inform us otherwise, immediately upon your receipt of invoice***

International shipments: In order to comply with our insurance provider, all international shipments will be sent via Fed Ex and customs paperwork will show a value of $1.00. International buyers should contact our office directly with any questions regarding this policy.

Third Party Shipping Option: If a third party shipper is preferred, the buyer is responsible for contacting them directly to make shipping arrangements. For your convenience, we have provided some recommended shippers. For your protection, we will require a signed release from you, confirming your authorization for us to release your lots to your specified third party Please copy and paste this following link into your browser: http://universityarchives.com/UserFiles/ShippingInfo.pdf. At that point, our responsibility and insurance coverage for your item(s) ceases. Items picked up by third party shippers are required to pay Connecticut sales tax. Items requiring third party shipping due to being oversized, fragile or bulky will be denoted in the item description.

Please see our full terms and conditions for names of suggested third party shippers.


After payment has been made in full, University Archives will ship your purchase within 5 business days following receipt of full payment for item.


Please remember that the buyer is responsible for all shipping costs from University Archives' offices in Wilton, CT to the buyer's door. Please see full Terms and Conditions of Sale.

April 14, 2021 10:30 AM EDT

Wilton, CT, US

You agree to pay a buyer's premium of up to 25.0% and any applicable taxes and shipping.

View full terms and conditions

Bid Increments
From: To: Increments:
$0 $99 $10
$100 $299 $20
$300 $499 $25
$500 $999 $50
$1,000 $1,999 $100
$2,000 $2,999 $200
$3,000 $4,999 $250
$5,000 $9,999 $500
$10,000 $19,999 $1,000
$20,000 $49,999 $2,500
$50,000 + $5,000