40 Years of Presidential Campaign Pinbacks, from McKinley to Landon, 110+ Pcs!
A sensational collection of over 110 mostly presidential pinback buttons, lapel pins, and campaign button tabs, including many jugates, spanning forty years of American political history, from the campaigns of William McKinley and Garret Hobart (1896), to Alfred Landon and Frank Knox (1936). The campaign memorabilia is displayed in seven horizontal rows on a black felt-covered mat measuring 24.375" x 16.5". The lot comes with an optional wooden and glass showcase behind which the mat was originally displayed. There are many gems in this completely unpicked collection waiting to be discovered! Provenance: From the lifelong collection of a Greenwich, Connecticut gentleman.
Of especial interest are the three-dimensional buttons and pins, including two Progressive Party "bull moose" pins; an enameled elephant form pin emblazoned "Hoover and Curtis"; and numerous sunflower form, multi-media pins promoting Al Landon. Expected wear throughout commensurate with age, else near fine.
Collectors will recognize the familiar names of winning candidates, as well as the less recognizable names of the losers and failed party nominees. Candidates whose images or names are featured include:
- William McKinley & Garret Hobart (1896)
- William Jennings Bryan & Arthur Sewall (1896)
- William McKinley & Theodore Roosevelt (1900)
- Theodore Roosevelt & Charles W. Fairbanks (1904)
- Alton B. Parker & Henry G. Davis (1904)
- Charles Evans Hughes for Governor of New York (1906)
- William Randolph Hearst for Governor of New York (1906)
- William H. Taft & James S. Sherman (1908)
- William Jennings Bryan & John W. Kern (1908)
- Theodore Roosevelt (1912)
- Woodrow Wilson (1912 & 1916)
- James M. Cox & Franklin Delano Roosevelt (1920)
- Warren G. Harding & Calvin Coolidge (1920)
- Calvin Coolidge & Charles G. Dawes (1924)
- Robert M. La Follette & Burton K. Wheeler (1924)
- Herbert Hoover & Charles Curtis (1928)
- Al Smith & Joseph Robinson (1928)
- William E. Borah (1936)
- Alfred M. Landon & Frank Know (1936)
A preliminary examination revealed the following highlights:
- McKinley & Roosevelt, "Prosperity at Home, Prestige Abroad" button sold for $74 in 2019
- McKinley & Roosevelt beribboned button, .875", sold for $64 in 2018
- "Bryan & Sewall, Victory in 1896" button sold for $58 in 2007
- "Bryan/Sewall, 16 to 1" button sold for $89 in 2016
- "My First Vote is For Harding" button sold for $258 in 2019
- William E. Borah button sold for $42 in 2019
- Robert M. La Follette button sold for $50 in 2013
**PLEASE NOTE: This lot will require third party shipping due to the delicate nature of how the buttons are mounted.
This item comes with a Certificate from John Reznikoff, a premier authenticator for both major 3rd party authentication services, PSA and JSA (James Spence Authentications), as well as numerous auction houses.
WE PROVIDE IN-HOUSE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!